Skip to main content

That feeling

I rarely write off the cuff preferring to plan my story, carefully forming and editing in the hope of making an interesting read and generally inspiring or motivating others.

But tonight is different. Ive just left the pool having completed my swim test and in doing so - my longest ever swim of 1500m.

I don't always/ever live in the moment and often spend time worrying about the past and the future. Things I can't control but can't or haven't yet is probably a more positive way of putting it figured out how to manage it all.

Tonight I pushed my body further that I expected I could. Ive been very worried about tonight's session. Not sleeping properly last night and following that up with a long day worrying in work today.

But tonight it was worth it all. I jumped out of the pool at the end and sat on the side to catch my breath, seeing stars but managing to stay upright I got to enjoy my self-euphoria. I was tired hunger and sore but I felt an amazing sense of accomplishment. I know should my quest for M dot go as planned over the next year this swimming distance will be nothing. But today it's something. It's special.

Living in the moment is so important for mental wellbeing. Being present in whatever moment you are in. Sometimes easy and sometimes so very hard.

Pushing our bodies is hard and uncomfortable and mentally tough but the rewards are great.
That moment at the end. It doesnt last long in the memory and you can't ever get back the exact feeling, that simple wonderfulness.
Knowing you achieved this yourself, with raw physical strength and more importantly strong mental strength.

I'm writing this now to enjoy this feeling again.

Now to see how I'm ever going to manage to cycle 90k in the mountains and run a half marathon.
But for now, back to today, back to this moment, this achievement and this wonderful feeling .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old men

Why do old men always want to chat in the swimming pool? It's a not a bloody Turkish baths situation. Also in the showers. I don't need to be told that "it's nice to be under the hot water". I am under the hot water. I know its nice. All this after being told all about how hard swimming is, how hard life is, how running or walking are so hard and swimming is all he'll be able to do until he leaves this life, quote, unquote. A cheery Saturday evening all round really as the old man waits to die in the pool but is brought back to life by nice hot water. The gym closes early on a Saturday and I really didn't have time for idle life, death and hot water discussions. There was swimming to be doing or attempted anyway. Small talk aside I did achieve my 500m aim which to most swimmers probably doesn't seem like a lot but to me is amazing. Tou could say it went swimmingly. And yes by the end of the week having completed 2700m (a new weekly totals record obv...

Refocus

I find it hard to keep up a blog and as with most things it down to mindset. When things are fantastic I've no time to write and when things are bad or tough well, I'm just too embarrassed or guilty. What's the point. It's sounds stupid but it's honest. The last few weeks have been tough. Life and work have been busy. The snow arrived and time was lost and excuses made. That's all normal I assume. Getting into a solid training streak is so important. And I did have one good week. But to be honest I've fallen out of love with swimming, unable to muster the energy and time to cycle and generally regretting all things triathlon. I find myself wishing I should have stuck with running and wondering what I could have achieved if I'd stuck it out. But I've made my decision and for now at least until August and the Half I'm going to have to stick to it. I've gotten a coach to make my training sessions have more purpose and direction. Also I want t...

Decision first, think later. 15/11/17

I've only gone and entered an Ironman 70.3 That's a half Ironman. Basically too much swimming too much cycling and a half marathon. I can't exactly explain why I've entered. And now I'm very much wondering why. It wasn't a childhood dream. It's not something I've only just realised existed. I've known about them for years now. But there was never an interest. It was always something other people did and I thought wow, swimming. I hate swimming. Always have. Probably because I'm crap at it. And it seems so hard but so does everything when your crap at it. A late start to swimming and I'm not even sure I ever learnt properly. Also some bad memories of being held under water as a teenager. Poor me. So with a general hate for swimming yet a jealous "I wish I could" vibe I entered a Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 with little regard for the course details. Main reason was its nearness, as in not abroad. I'm not ready to go abroad an...