Skip to main content

Swimming - Like riding a bike

Tonight I am more tired than I possibly have ever been. And it's a strange tiredness. It's not muscle soreness tiredness. It's just full run down can barely stay awake will fall over when standing up relaxed tiredness. But it feels great. It feels like success. Like I'm getting somewhere. That or I'm just delusional and really tired.

Swimming was good tonight. Breathing is easier and less paniced as is my stroke. I spend less time thinking about breathing as if that's normal and more on perfecting my glide and reach. High elbow. Always high elbows.

It just goes to show that we don't always need to do something new. You don't always need to see improvements or push yourself so far that you end up hating whatever it is you are doing. Tonight was just that. Hard work, consistency and going the same thing over and over made the difference over the last few weeks. Like riding a bike when you're five. You just keep going and going and going. Rarely getting demotivated because you are five and don't know what demotivation is. But then one day after lots and lots of cycling around the same route, losing your balance countless time and falling and falling and falling, you suddenly get it. You can ride a bike. And it feels great. And once you learn to ride a bike you really never forget.

So today was a good day. Nothing different. Just hard work and consistency and working through the tough times because I know what not being motivated feels like. Being able to beat it, not give up and actually start to see results is motivation enough. 

Looking forward to swimming tomorrow. A sentence I never ever thought I would ever say.

Now back to being wholely tired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old men

Why do old men always want to chat in the swimming pool? It's a not a bloody Turkish baths situation. Also in the showers. I don't need to be told that "it's nice to be under the hot water". I am under the hot water. I know its nice. All this after being told all about how hard swimming is, how hard life is, how running or walking are so hard and swimming is all he'll be able to do until he leaves this life, quote, unquote. A cheery Saturday evening all round really as the old man waits to die in the pool but is brought back to life by nice hot water. The gym closes early on a Saturday and I really didn't have time for idle life, death and hot water discussions. There was swimming to be doing or attempted anyway. Small talk aside I did achieve my 500m aim which to most swimmers probably doesn't seem like a lot but to me is amazing. Tou could say it went swimmingly. And yes by the end of the week having completed 2700m (a new weekly totals record obv...

Refocus

I find it hard to keep up a blog and as with most things it down to mindset. When things are fantastic I've no time to write and when things are bad or tough well, I'm just too embarrassed or guilty. What's the point. It's sounds stupid but it's honest. The last few weeks have been tough. Life and work have been busy. The snow arrived and time was lost and excuses made. That's all normal I assume. Getting into a solid training streak is so important. And I did have one good week. But to be honest I've fallen out of love with swimming, unable to muster the energy and time to cycle and generally regretting all things triathlon. I find myself wishing I should have stuck with running and wondering what I could have achieved if I'd stuck it out. But I've made my decision and for now at least until August and the Half I'm going to have to stick to it. I've gotten a coach to make my training sessions have more purpose and direction. Also I want t...

Decision first, think later. 15/11/17

I've only gone and entered an Ironman 70.3 That's a half Ironman. Basically too much swimming too much cycling and a half marathon. I can't exactly explain why I've entered. And now I'm very much wondering why. It wasn't a childhood dream. It's not something I've only just realised existed. I've known about them for years now. But there was never an interest. It was always something other people did and I thought wow, swimming. I hate swimming. Always have. Probably because I'm crap at it. And it seems so hard but so does everything when your crap at it. A late start to swimming and I'm not even sure I ever learnt properly. Also some bad memories of being held under water as a teenager. Poor me. So with a general hate for swimming yet a jealous "I wish I could" vibe I entered a Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 with little regard for the course details. Main reason was its nearness, as in not abroad. I'm not ready to go abroad an...