Skip to main content

Crushing Balls

Its been a while since I decided to go on this Ironman journey and in that time I still cant seem to spell Triathlon right most of the time. Does that mean this is not for me I should just give up? Its a sign, a sign that if you cannot spell it, you shouldnt do it. Life lesson.

Its been 6 months since I've last been on a bike and I was fearing the worst when deciding to take out the trusty steed for a quick spin on Sunday. It really didn't disappoint.
The parts of me I forgot how to hurt hurt. those parts were everywhere. Turns out staying consistent has advantages. The lovely burny feeling in the quads and calves returned and it was beautiful. That feeling reminds me of fitness and I visualize that as getting fitter and getting strong. Success. Not that I can count today's cycle as success but it was a start. Just the small matter of no hills and no wind on today's route and still a struggle.
A low winter sun peeped over the the hedges and empty fields aimed directly into my eyes blinding me as if it knew that today was the day I needed to be tested, pushed, driven. The muscle memory returned of that funny back and neck pain as well as the weird headache from craning your eyes forward  and upwards unnaturally and yes, staring into the sun. Oh the joys of cycling.
I repositioned my bum multiple times before realising, that this bum pain is not something you get used to, its something you get on with. Plus it leaves a reminder for a few days that its still there, lingering, reminding you some time, someday you will have to get back on the bloody bike and experience all this all over again. Bloody bum pain.
And then the most painful, awkward, no where to put them part. The part of cycling you forget exists like the bum part but when you sit down on that narrow hardy saddle, you remember. Ill clarify. I now listen to a really interesting podcast covering all things Triathlon called "Crushing Iron". It really is a wealth of information on ultra sports including events, training, diet, etiquette, mindset, injuries and lots more and I find it very much addictive in my motivation to stay motivated. You could say its motivating.
So that awkward, sometimes sore, no whee to put them feeling that returned to me on Sunday. The need to constantly readjust and a feeling that I wonder how I will deal with when using actual tri bars and in a lower body position. If your still wondering what this feeling I speak so subtly about is please review the title of this blog entry, also inspired by Crushing Iron. Its something Ill have to get re-used to given I have cycled much more in he past. But complaining and first world ball issues aside (no pun intended) it wasn't a bad spin clocking 30k and keeping an average pace of 25kph which I'm currently claiming as impressive while secretly hoping I look back on this spin as poor and pathetic but at least I got out there in January, right?
Although getting back on the bike was a challenge for a number of reasons, some logistical, some laziness, some fearsome I did manage to maintain some activity through a Christmas which included a plus 80 hour working week on the run in, a lot of driving time throughout and the added stress and physical demands of packing up and moving out of a house in three 14 hour box filling, moving and lifting shifts. Unfortunately this didn't leave a lot of time for training so I stuck to the simple efforts of running, managing to squeeze in three runs over the busy period. 21k in total as well as plenty of extra physical work has left me in a place where luckily I do not need to rebuilt too much in January and am happy enough with my base fitness.
Im back in the pool and even without swimming for the last three weeks felt good although there still is a long way to go to perfect my technique, effort and energy conservation.
The plan for January is to get swimming back on track and crank up the volume. I've read that tons of volume isnt necessary given he gains that can be made in the water are slight in comparison to a strong cycle or run but I need it for confidence and trust in myself and my ability. Obviously back on the bike and building to longer distances one day a week as well as some extra spin classes for fitness, strength and endurance.
Core strength seems to be the secret of pretty much every element of triathlon, be it keeping hips high in the water and rotaion the body as a whole through the stroke, keeping the upper body still on the bike and powering through the hips into the legs and also reducing fatigue as the running distances get longer - never mind swimming 1900m and cycling 90km beofre all that running business.

Mentally remaining positive and strong. Visulation has always worked for me as a tool to suceeding so I'm hoping to use that through meditation and yoga to be confident in my abilities and training.

Today's mantra:
Arrive prepared and lets crush some balls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visualising Failure

I'm that person that gives out, bitches and moans about training but always always  fears not having enough done. But doesn't everyone? I'm hoping so. Then there's the guilt. It irks away at you. Why are you not training? You don't deserve to relax. You haven't earned it. You can't enjoy food. You haven't earned it. You can't watch a series on Netflix unless your on the turbo. You must suffer. I'm not sure where the guilt comes from or the purpose but it's tough mentally and probably not proactive. I know that. I should probably just train more. That would teach the guilt. After a 2 week break from the pool, one for illness, the second more logistical I returned this week and was looking forward to it. It had only been 2 weeks. Hardly enough time to lose any swimming fitness. Swimming fitness I'd really only gained over the previous 3 weeks so possibly a bit niave on my part. Monday night's session was grim but I powered throu

Why leave anything to chance?

Why leave anything to chance? That's what I'm wondering today. A number of reasons I've gotten to this thinking and writing it down means I need to do something about it. I need to understand the problem. I'm training for a marathon. 6 weeks into a 16 week plan. And generally it's been going well. Although I have missed some sessions albeit for legitimate reasons. But that's just the point; I can always make a reason for missing a session but really mostly it's excuses. I'd never miss my long run. It would be too many miles to miss in a week. But when it comes to other sessions I'm not so consistent. And the ones I miss the most are the technical speed sessions. I suppose I think they are the least important but while actually doing one today I realised how important they are. They are in the plan for a reason so who am I to decide to skip them? I've missed 3 out of 6 of them for various reasons and 2 other sessions on days before them meaning

Refocus

I find it hard to keep up a blog and as with most things it down to mindset. When things are fantastic I've no time to write and when things are bad or tough well, I'm just too embarrassed or guilty. What's the point. It's sounds stupid but it's honest. The last few weeks have been tough. Life and work have been busy. The snow arrived and time was lost and excuses made. That's all normal I assume. Getting into a solid training streak is so important. And I did have one good week. But to be honest I've fallen out of love with swimming, unable to muster the energy and time to cycle and generally regretting all things triathlon. I find myself wishing I should have stuck with running and wondering what I could have achieved if I'd stuck it out. But I've made my decision and for now at least until August and the Half I'm going to have to stick to it. I've gotten a coach to make my training sessions have more purpose and direction. Also I want t